Thursday, May 21, 2009

Decisions Decisions

Have you ever wished you could hire someone else to make your decisions for you? "What will it be today for dessert: chocolate milk shake or german chocolate cake?" Hmmm, I think ... both!



As a part of trying to simplify our lives, I realize that we must make choices about what we are willing to live without. Yesterday on Oprah, families had 7 and 14 day experiements looking at what they could live without. As I examin my own life I realize that there isn't really , anything that I couldn't live without. There are things that I really enjoy, but other than food and water, I can live without most things.



Today, we were posed with a question about whether we should be keeping our house or not. Immediately I wondered, "but where would I live?" Then I remembered, that has already been prepared. Then I thought, "but I like my home and yard, and the new vegetable garden we planted." While on the phone with my husband this evening I realized that if we can live more cheaply by moving out of our home and living in a comparable place for $200 - $500 less per month, that is $2400 - $6000 per year in the bank....



My mom talked to me about the sacrifices that stay at home moms often have to make financially. "We didn't have what a lot of my friends had..." she said. "If you are OK with that, then you'll do fine with being a s.a.m." Moms are so wise! How much more important is my son then any thing!



The decision that I wish someone else would make for me is what to do with our home. I love our home, but I love my husband and son more, and making sure that their futures and happiness are secure is more imporant to me then budgeting down to the nub, squeezing water from a rock, in order to pay our mortgage.



It's a hard decision. We think we know what we need to do. Thank goodness there is someone who will walk with us through this every step of the way: the person of Jesus Christ! Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment