Monday, May 11, 2009

Out of the Woods or Out of the Valley

It has been a week or more since writing. While this is not ideal, it is because of some good that is happening in our lives. I was at my parents' while my husband was in orientation for a new (near by) trucking job. We are praising God for this opportunity!



Our prayers have been full of questions and requests: "why did the business fail?" "What do we do now, with 3 mouths to feed (including an infant) and a mortgage?" "Please help us find a job for Tim and allow us to make more than enough to live, so that we might bless others too!" Sometimes I wonder if these are the right requests. They are genuine, so I am guessing it is ok.



In any case, I take quiet time now to reflect on the fact that, while we are not "out of the woods" financially, my Tim is now employed and driving truck. For now, at least, he is home weekends, gone Monday - Friday. Initially we thought this would be a temporary thing, but we are not sure. We are just greatful that Tim is working and bringing in money for the family.



I mentioned in my last post that I am tempted to find a job myself. There is a local position that if applied for, I believe I would get it. However, I really desire to be at home with my son. I know that it may mean working more later, when Tim is looking at retirement. However, I think working outside the home, away from my son would bring me great sadness. He is more of a priority over having "extra" money in the bank, which I haven't had for years... hence the temptation.



I entitled this "Out of the Woods or Out of the Valley", because I think that sometimes we have to make choices. I think that ultimately both goals are possible, but the rate at which they happen depends on whether I focus on them one at a time or at the same time. Case in point: We really want to be "out of the woods" financially, so that we can easily live within our means and save for our college educations, retirement and just plan living. However, we also value our family time together now and having me at home to raise our son. This time while he is so young is so fleeting and something I want to completely enjoy. So it seems, if I leave the home to be a working mother, the faster we'll be financially out of the woods, but the more likely I'll remain "IN the valley."



I am thankful for my family, my friends and extended family who support us through this hard time, Tim's new job, my home, and the knowledge that I have the strength of Jesus Christ on my side, so no matter the challenge at least I know where I will be in eternity! There, I will be both Out of the Woods AND Out of the Valley!

1 comment:

  1. That is great that you want to be with your son and see him grow, we all cherish that time. Sometimes, you must bite your lip, roll up your sleeves and do what needs to be done. If you need to ask if you should take a job, you already know the answer. Sometimes split shifts are a blessing. Your son will be able to enjoy both his mother and father at this young age. Take a page from Tim's book, do something you don't want to do, to ensure the future of YOUR family. Not a sermon, just a thought.

    ReplyDelete