Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Plastic Firetrucks and Board Books

My life as a mom is such a blessing. Considering I am under stresses including financial pressure, a husband who is away, and an infant, truly, life is good. My son is playing on the floor nearby manipulating and alternately biting the little plastic firetruck and farm board-book which seem to give him all the joy in the world at the moment. He concentrates on how his hands twist and turn the toys and then goes back to biting them. With the attention of an 8 month old, who now has my computer in his sights, he plays and learns about this world into which he was newly initiated last fall.



As I think about how life changes, I wonder why that the child-like naivety that an infant has and can't remain. How can we recall the days of total amazement and wonder? Is it really too much to ask that an adult be awestruck by the bright lights at the grocery store? Or the big trucks that drive past our house? Or even the flowers that tickle our noses...How do we recapture this awe?



A devotional that I read a couple months ago still sticks with me. God has miracles revealed to us every day, we just don't see them because they seem so ordinary. But on those occasions that God answers some of the really big requests with a resounding "YES!" we become awestruck. "Leave me awestruck, Lord" Has become a part of my daily prayer, and I believe he answers it with "YES!" every day, with a beautiful, patient, fun 8 month old boy named Hunter.


He's after the laptop, gotta run!

No comments:

Post a Comment